- The female condom, also known as a ladies condom, is worn by a woman during sex. Yes, it is obvious but we are going to tell you anyway!
- It is like a lining that is spread on the inside of the vagina.
- The Female Condom helps keep you safe from pregnancy that you are not prepared for, including sexually transmitted diseases and HIV/AIDS (gasp!).
- Use a fresh, new female condom every time you have sex (You do not even want to try to reuse!)
How do I use a Female Condom?
- Remove the female condom carefully from the package
- Put some spermicide or lubricant on the outside of the closed end
- Get comfortable, like you are going to put in a tampon.
- Squeeze the sides of the closed-end ring together and insert it like a tampon.
- Push the ring as far into your vagina as it can go, all the way to your cervix.
- Pull out your finger and let the outer ring hang about an inch outside your vagina. (Yes, it may look a little funny.)
- Your male partner will insert his penis into the open end of the female condom and get on with business of having sex. You should always help your partner to guide his penis into the outer opening of the female condom so he does not miss it.
- After you are through with sex, squeeze and twist the outer opening of the female condom very well to prevent leakage, then pull it out and discard.
How safe are Female Condoms?
It is safe. In fact, almost everyone can use the female condom easily and safely.
What are the benefits & advantages of Female Condoms?
- It is an opportunity for ladies to share responsibility as it concerns sexual protection and particularly, the use of condoms with their partners.
- It affords a lady the option of choosing to use the female condom if her partner refuses to use the male condom.
- If you use it correctly, the female condom will protect you against infections that are transmitted through sex and pregnancy that you are not prepared for.
- The female condom material is solid. It is not affected by cold, heat or wetness.
What are the disadvantages of Female Condoms?
- The outer ring of the female condom can be seen and may make some ladies feel self-conscious or shy.
- The female condom can make little noises (“fraps”) during sex but you can overcome that by adding enough lubricant!
- Some ladies find the female condom difficult to insert and remove.
- It is not really as effective as other methods like the pill, and IUD, or the injection.