- It is a male condom and of course, you wear it on the penis- a guy’s sexual organ. (Duh, as if you didn’t already know that!)
- Using a condom correctly and consistently means you can have good, healthy sex without fear or worry about contracting sexually transmitted diseases(STDs), HIV/AIDS or the big P! -Pregnancy!
- Never reuse a condom! Ever! Reusing a condom will subject the condom to tearing. Also, a reused condom is likely to slip off and leak out fluid because it has already been used and can no longer be air-tight like a new one. The risk from prior fluids is also very high! That is too dangerous! Use a new one every time you have sex.
Of 100 women whose partners use male condoms, about 18 may get pregnant. These numbers can be lower if male condoms are used correctly every time you have sex.
- Always check the expiry date on the condom package carefully. Do not use an expired condom.
- Always open your condom at the corner of the packaging. Never use your teeth, blade, scissors or any other sharp object. (You do not want to put a hole in it by mistake!) Use your fingers to open your condom package every time.
- Do not stretch or straighten the condom.
- To put on the condom: Place the rolled condom at the head of your erect penis; pinch it up a little to create space for semen at the top. Pinching it also helps to remove bubbles that may cause friction that can lead to tearing.
- If the penis still has the foreskin, that is, if it is not circumcised, pull the foreskin- the soft flesh at the top of the penis, pull it back very well before rolling down the condom on it.
- Roll the condom down all the way to the base or end of the penis and straighten out any air bubbles with your fingers.
- Keep the condom on throughout sex. After the man has come, and before he removes his penis from the vagina, grip the base of the condom (closest to where your pubic hair is) and pull the penis out slowly. Only after the penis is fully removed from the vagina can the condom be removed.
Everyone can safely use a condom, except those who are allergic to latex- the material used to make condoms. If you think you are allergic to latex, seek other options by talking to your healthcare provider.
- If you use condoms correctly and consistently, just chill and relax because condoms have got your back! Your protection is real! Against STDs/STIs, HIV/AIDS, AND Pregnancy!
- Condoms are fun! They are available in various interesting colours, shapes, textures, sizes and flavours! Yes, flavours. So with condoms, it is fun and pleasure all the way!
- You can get condoms almost everywhere you turn! Chemists, pharmacies, supermarkets, convenience stores...
- You do not need a prescription or a doctor, just buy and off you go.
- With condoms, there is less mess with sex
Some guys and ladies feel that the condom is not like the ‘real thing’ and that it reduces the pleasure by dulling the sensation and excitement.
Some guys and ladies feel frustrated that momentum is slowed down when they stop to put on the condom. They feel like it’s a “break-in-transmission” in the exciting build-up to sex and that the sexual “fire” is doused by the break/time out.
Some guys may be shy about using condoms while some may be afraid of losing their erections while putting on the condom. (if this is a challenge, you might want to consider the female condom which does not require any erection to put on).
Helpful tip: You can try different styles and sizes to find the best and most comfortable condom for you and your partner.
You must realise that your body is yours and you must protect it. Know also that sex is a beautiful thing, but it is best enjoyed when you are protected. You have a right to choose to protect yourself. Use that right!
Don’t be shy to have the condom talk. it is important. If your partner has “issues” or “excuses” for not wanting to wear a condom, here are some “answers” that may help. Think safety first.
Answer: It is not a matter of trust. People do have infections without knowing.
Answer: I can only relax if you wear a condom, and if I am more relaxed, you will enjoy me more. That way, we will both enjoy ourselves.
Answer: I will help you to put it on. I will help you maintain your erection.
Answer: If you cannot talk to him freely about such things, there are trust issues already.
Answer: That may even be better! You can then stay longer for me to cum or we can cum together and that would be nice!
Answer: I brought one/ You can just stroll out to buy.
Answer: It is your body. It is your health. You should have a say in the matter.
Answer: Let us use it anyway. One of us may have an infection without knowing. We cannot be too careful. Besides the pills only prevent pregnancy.
Answer: Then we can engage in more foreplay and have more time to enjoy ourselves.
Answer: I love you. But I will not jeopardize my future to prove it.
Answer: Women can get pregnant and get infected with Sexually Transmitted Diseases from pre-ejaculation (Pre-cum).
Answer: That is the more reason we should protect our future and ourselves!
Answer: Once is more than enough to get pregnant and an STD.